Fellowship for prospective leaders.
ContactGerman Chancellor Fellowship
Communication, Media, and Entertainment
Government, Law, and Policy
Leadership and Business
CitizenshipUS Citizen, Non-US Citizenships
StatusSenior, Entering Graduate
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation's German Chancellor Fellowship Program is for university graduates from the United States, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, and India with an interest in international issues and demonstrated leadership potential. The program is targeted at accomplished young professionals who are likely to become decision-makers, thought leaders, and influential voices in their respective fields. Fellows will be recruited from a broad range of areas such as politics and public policy, law, media, business, the non-governmental sector, and the arts. The program provides fellows the opportunity to spend one year in Germany, where they will network with other prospective leaders from abroad and explore new solutions to the global issues of our times. This prestigious program builds on Germany's established and growing reputation as a favored destination for problem-focused international dialogue and a meeting place for tomorrow's international leaders.
During their time in Germany, Federal Chancellor Fellows conduct independent projects at their host institutions. The project should involve original exploration of a topic or issue or research in the fellow's respective field of interest. The fellows are mentored by hosts in Germany, whom the fellows have chosen on the basis of their expertise in their respective areas. Projects should be of relevance to modern societies, have a long-term and visible impact, and help to advance fellows' careers and professional development. Through their experience in Germany, fellows will acquire greater knowledge of their fields, gain new international experience, and strengthen their intercultural competence - all essential qualities for future professional leaders.
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African, or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October 2022.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German