Interdisciplinary training/experience for graduate students in health related fields.


Varies with the programs and institutions


NIH (National Institutes of Health) Graduate Partnership Program

Quick facts

Academic Discipline

Computer Science, Technology
Health and Medical Fields
Natural Sciences
Scientific Research


US Citizen, Permanent Resident


Entering Graduate, Graduate



Endorsement Required


Award Amount

The stipends for graduate students at the NIH are adjusted yearly; the level depends on prior experience. For details, see


The NIH Graduate Partnerships Program (GPP) allows participants to take advantage of the best of two worlds - the academic environment of a university and the breadth and depth of research at the NIH. The goal is to create a different kind of graduate experience, one that focuses on training the next generation of scientific leaders by emphasizing communication and collaboration skills, integration of information, and interdisciplinary investigation. At the NIH, graduate students work in a highly collaborative research environment with leading scientists and clinicians. They share the NIH campus with the largest translational research hospital in the nation. They explore areas such as bioinformatics, biophysics, epidemiology, immunology, cell and molecular biology, neuroscience, health sciences, structural biology, sensory and communication neuroscience, molecular pathology, biobehavioral research, and developmental biology.


Students come to the NIH in one of three ways:

  • Institutional partnerships administered by the Office of Intramural Training & Education
  • Institutional partnerships administered by one of the Institutes or Centers that make up the NIH
  • Individual agreements negotiated between an NIH investigator and the student's university Institutional Partnerships: If you have an undergraduate degree and you would like to pursue a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences you can apply to one or more of the GPP Institutional Partnerships. Students apply concurrently to the GPP and to a partner university.

Enrollment is limited to US citizens and US permanent residents.

Individual Partnerships: If you are currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program and you would like to perform part or all of your dissertation research at the NIH, consider developing an individual agreement between an NIH Investigator and your graduate university. Individual agreements are open to US Citizens, US Permanent Residents, and Foreign Nationals currently enrolled in a PhD or equivalent program.