How To Get Started in Applying for Scholarships
Each scholarship foundation is seeking specific qualities from candidates based on their selection criteria. All of them, however, are interested in supporting engaged scholars who will have an impact on the world. Here are some tips on how to prepare for applying to nationally competitive scholarships:
First, make the most of your time at Duke:
- Enroll in rigorous courses that expand your academic trajectory and perspective. Take courses that excite you and bend your mind, but also help to integrate your interests, concerns and ambitions.
- Build relationships with faculty members outside the classroom.
- Conduct faculty mentored research.
- Make an impact within an organization or club, both on and off-campus.
- Find ways to practice and hone your public speaking skills.
- Seek out opportunities to engage in conversations on complex topics.
- Keep informed on what is happening in the news, both nationally and internationally.